Stronghold is a 2–4 player game telling the story of a siege. Players take opposite sides, one has to defend the stronghold, the other has to break into the castle as soon as possible. As time passes, defenders get Victory Points every turn for their efforts on the walls.
The game board represents the stronghold itself as well as the surrounding terrain, where enemy forces are placed and whence they proceed to the walls.
The defender has a small number of soldiers manning the walls, while the invader has an infinite legion of attacking creatures. A desperate fight is taking place every single turn. The invaders build war machines, equip their soldiers, train them and use black magic rituals to achieve victory. Meanwhile, defenders repair walls, build cannons, train soldiers, and do everything they can to hold the castle as long as possible.
- 1 Main board
- 1 Glory board
- 200 Invader cubes
- 41 Defender cubes
- 13 Resource cubes
- 24 Hourglass cubes
- 23 Wall segment cubes
- 49 phase cards
- 42 Machine cards
- 21 Invader Machine tiles (5x Battering Ram, 4x Ballistas, 4x Catapults, 3x Towers, 3x Cover, 2x Altar).
- 21 Invader Equipment tiles (3x Banners, 3x Ladders, 3x Ropes, 3x Sap, 3x Bridge, 3x Shields, 3x Poisons)
- 15 Invader Training tiles (3x Quartermaster, 3x Trenchmaster, 3x Firemaster, 3x Drover, 3x Saboteur).
- 12 Invader Rituals tiles (2x Blood stones, 2x Possession, 1x Fire, 2x Spectres, 1x Panic, 2x Gale, 1x Accident).
- 5 Invader Order tiles (1x Trolls’ Call, 1x Goblins’ Fury, 1x Orcs’ Detonation, 2x Bluff tile).
- 6 Defender Equipment tiles (3x Cannon, 3x Poles).
- 6 Defender Trap tiles (3x Goblins, 3x Trolls).
- 3 Defender Platform tiles.
- 3 Defender Special tiles (1x Haste, 1x Marksmen Blessing, 1x Unearthly Glare).
- 28 Fortification tiles
- 29 Glory tiles
- 1 Rulebook